Thursday, March 25, 2010

TJ gets a Superhawk!

TJ sends me this text a few days ago about seeing a craigslist ad for a 1966 Honda 305 Superhawk for sale over in Iowa. I told him not to pass it up because it's a really good price. So the next day I'm meeting TJ at his place and taking this truck for a spin.



We head over to Avoca Iowa where we meet an individual named "Johnny Lightning". A very interesting fellow indeed and had a few neat bikes from a few different makes including a Russian Dirt bike. He shows the Honda and proceeds to tell us everything he knows about that Honda. For being somewhat crude, he seemed like a nice enough fellow.
When it came time for someone to take it for a spin, between me and TJ, I was the only one with the license to ride. Being very very nervous I started out as easy as I could. I definitely did not want to scratch up this moving antique, and I also wasn't wearing a helmet. haha
Shifting through all the gears and back down again, I tried to really get a feel for how this bike rode. I must admit it didn't handle like newer bikes, but truly was a great feeling to ride it even though I was freezing cold.



We got the bike loaded up with the help of another individual named "Big Dave". Big Dave had two things going for him, he had ramps and could lift the bike with ease. Very helpful when loading.




The unloading once we got back was a concern of mine. We only had 2 guys to unload it, instead of 4. We also didn't have a set of ramps like Big Dave had. The way back we brain stormed on how we are going to get this bike off this truck. Using a thick piece of plywood and the little lip just outside the garage we backed the old Honda off the truck. Little by little, inch by inch we eased her back into her new home in TJ's garage. A much more fitting home for that monster rather than the dirty shed it was living in before. I was very glad to get it to Omaha and into our possession.


TJ tells me he is hoping for a complete tear down and rebuild. I really can not wait to see that completed. E

1 comment: