Saturday, March 20, 2010

First post from Western, The CB500 "Betty"





A friend of mine was harping on me to help him find an old Honda to work on over the winter. i rode my CB350 up to visit him a few hours away and parked it out front of the bar to talk motorcycles over a few brewskies. the next day when i was taking the last turn before the highway toward home i saw a CB500 four outside at a yard sale. well my first thought was "awesome, i found a bike for my friend". i parked my 73 CB350 in front of the house and walked up to the bike. a man on the porch shouted "we wondered when you would stop by to checkout this bike". hu? how did this guy know me. he went on to explain that he was at the same bar last night, saw my bike, and the group of them agreed that if anyone was to buy the 72 CB500 i was going to be me. he explained that it was his brother's bike which he had purchased new in 1973. sadly his brother passed away a few months back so his estate was being sold. i offered him 1/2 what he was asking since i'm a broke college grad, he gladly excepted saying his brother would be happy to know that the bike was in good hands. it started right up after some idle adjustment and my friend & i rode both bikes back to my place. while filling up with gas a guy got out of his car and said "whoa, i just stepped into the 70's! nice bikes guys, good to see somebodies keeping these classic bikes going." needless to say i kept the CB500 and sold the 350 twin to my friend. first things to go: two-up seat, big crash bar, rear lowering brackets. here's some pictures of the bike from 10/04/09. Its gone through many changes since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment